Wednesday, August 17, 2011

So What the Heck is a Thyroglossal Duct Cyst Anyways





I can honestly say that before we found out about Elliah's condition, I had NEVER heard of a thyroglossal duct cyst, let alone what the Sistrunk procedure was and I have spent several hours on the internet doing my best to research them both and I have only been able to find one blog entitled, "Mi Familia Linda" where a woman shares her own experiences of having a TGC. I can not say how relieved I was to finally read about others who have gone through this and to know that I wasn't crazy to have as much anxiety as I have been having was truly a blessing.




Although the majority of the people who have posted on that particular blogs were adults, I was able to find a few people who had small children who had had the Sistrunk Procedure done and I have been in contact with them and they have been able to answer a few questions for me. It's amazing how generous complete strangers can be and the amount of comfort they can provide.

So to answer a few questions..




What is a thyroglossal duct cyst?



A thyroglossal duct cyst is a cyst that forms on the base of your child's thyroid gland. Early in fetal life, the thyroid gland moves from the bottom of the tongue to the base of the neck. As the thyroid moves, it drags some of the lining of the pharynx, which can form a cyst. A thyroglossal cyst usually appears between ages 2-10. It is found equally in both boys and girls. The main risk of a thyroglossal duct cyct is infection. Bacteria from the mouth may cause the cyst to become infected. In Elliah's case the cyst (which looks like she swallowed a grape) literally appeared overnight, thanks to my beautiful Mother who notices every single scratch and wound on her grandchildren, we have been able to have Liah seen by some amazing doctors in a very short amount of time. This cyst also explains why Elliah was always getting sick which is a huge relief because I swear we were taking her to the Dr.s every other week for something!!!



What is the Sistrunk procedure?




The operation is called a 'Sistrunk procedure'. The cyst is removed along with the middle of a small bone under the chin called the 'hyoid' bone, and the tube ('throglossal duct') within the tongue muscle is removed as well. This is done under a general anasthetic (asleep) and usually takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and half, depending on where exactly the cyst is attached. There have been cases where the bone does not have to be removed, at this point we are not sure but as soon as we know...so will you.



What kind of recovery will Elliah have?



This will depend on how her surgery goes. We have been informed that they usually keep the children overnight to make sure they do not have any problems with swallowing or a fever. The normal stay is anywhere from 1-3 days, and we are hoping that Liahbug will recover fast and we can bring her home as soon as possible. She will more than likely stay home for a few weeks, just to make sure she doesn't re-open the wound on her neck.


For those of you who know Liah, know that this kid has A LOT of spunk so I think the biggest obstacle Daryl and I will need to overcome is just getting her to slow down!!! She will not be allowed to have anything 'crunchy' for at least a week, and will only be able to have liquids for a while. Although it took a little bit of convincing on my part, Daryl and I have decided that we will have the same exact diet that Elliah does because the last thing we want to do is torture her with foods that she cannot eat. I think it will be a good way to show our solidarity with her and who knows, we may drop a few pounds too!!!

***All of this information was provided by Kidshealth.com and the CHOC hospital homepage***





I am feeling a little bit better now....we still have a ways to go but I do see a beautiful rainbow at the end of the tunnel.

3 comments:

  1. I love you sister. She will be ok. This girl has so much life in her and she is an inspiration to us all.

    Love Sergio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers and love to your beautiful baby! She WILL be okay, and you can't do better than CHOC. I predict she will be up and about much more than you want her to be within a couple of days.
    - Kim R. Carpenter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember the day when you my "Warrior Princess" gave birth to Elliah.....you were so strong and brave. I remember telling Buff Daddy how lucky that baby was to have such a strong mother.......Te amo.

    ReplyDelete